I’m about to say a dirty word, so close this page if you don’t want to hear it.
I said it. Winter is coming. It’s around the corner. You can feel it in the cold breeze and the crisp nights. I heard that this year won’t be as bad for record breaking cold, but they didn’t tip us off as to what to expect in terms of snow.
Regardless of how you feel about it, you can’t change the weather – at least not if you aren’t able or willing to move. So, I sit here watching the leaves fall (they changed color in like a week. Yikes!), thinking about everything that needs to be done before the winter really hits. Here’s my big list – go ahead and use it for yourself to tackle your winter prep.
- Clean the windows and apply plastic window film (I’ve never actually done this, but it’s on my list every year. We have huge windows out front and I think it could save us a bundle on heating costs if we did this.
- Check attic insulation. We had ice dams last year, so this is actually going to be “replace attic insulation” for us.
- Fill cracks in foundation and around windows with expanding foam
- Check weather stripping, replace if necessary
- Clean the gutters
- Clean carpets. Because you can’t do that in January.
- Replace furnace filters.
- Check the canned goods in the pantry, rotate if necessary. Stock up for winter storms.
- Buy batteries for winter storms
- Replace batteries in smoke detectors
- Clean the oven
- Clean out the freezer (and make room for holiday goodies)
- Take out winter bedding and wash it
- Take out throw blankets for living room and wash them
- Sun pillows one last time to kill dust mites.
- Put away summer clothes & take out winter clothes
- Put out boot trays
- Find snow removal tools and purchase more if needed
- Buy new coats, boots, gloves and hats for the kids
- Make sure the snowblower starts, get it repaired if it doesn’t
I think that’s about it. That should give you a good start on winter so when the cool weather (and first snowstorm) hits, you’re ready.
Is there anything I missed? Anything you would add?